Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Getting Reputaion with the Netherwing

Ever since they were introduced into the Burning Crusade, it was pretty much the one thing that I wanted out of a flying mount, and now even with the Proto Drakes in the WoTLK expansion pack, this drake still has more appeal to me in terms of just looking nifty and being something cool to fly around on. That said, given that lynxchan is a relativly new character, which I created back in October just before the 3.0 patch came out, she never really had a chance to get in on the race for the Netherwing when it was still all the rage in Burning Crusade, and my hunter at the time [who was level 70] was so uninteresting to play that I don't think I'd even looked at him since July, I was just to busy goofing around with the Warhammer Online Beta or various alts to try and find a new class to play. I had a druid around level 35 on Gilneas, but I had always wanted to see what it was like to roll around on a PvP server since folks seemed to talk about the difficulty of it all. I guess given that I showed up during 3.0 rather than say the early stages of the game when everyone and their mother wasn't on a different continent or planet it would have been more competitive. Anyway not to drift off into another topic, the reason Lynxchan didn't have Netherwing rep, or really any outlands rep is because by the time she hit 70, WoTLK had just come out [by a 2-3 week time frame I think, because I was in Winterspring when they were getting all the server first].

So I went off after getting all my Northrend Reps to Exalted and decided it was time to go back to outlands and start getting some of those reputations up. Admittedly it's a bit tough, because for 1, I'm still trying to actively raid and get geared for Uld 10 / 25, so that eats a lot of time and gold I could otherwise sink into Outlands reps. But enough complaining, you're hear because you want to learn something useful about getting reputation with the Netherwing, and I'm here to tell you that it really is just a 3 week process, just like it was back in Burning Crusade, and yes you can beat captain Skyshatter without any speed boost. The big thing to remember is that its really just a matter of time, and while the idea of grabbing eggs from everyone else seems nifty, the fact is that there really aren't that many to begin with, and even on my lucky days, at most I can find 5-6 and that is checking the mines, all the cliffs, and every nook and cranny of the Dragonmaw bases.

So what you're left with is you and probably [it seems at least] 7 or 8 80's who are all out there chasing after the flying purple dragon. The nifty thing about going back is that thanks to the fact that all the mobs have around 6k health, a good mangle or two to the face should easily take care of them. This makes that 3 man quest once you get to revered all that much easier to deal with, also thanks to being 80, your aggro range is much smaller, so you don't have to worry about the elites that are stomping about the island. As for captain Skyshatter for druids at least I simply put the flight form button on my casting bar as number 1 so that whenever I did get knocked out of the air I could just hit 1 and try to keep up with him. It still took 4-5 tries to get the right pattern down, but its very doable. There's also some other nifty things to pick up while your back in outlands, including the Skyguard who will fork over an assortment of neatherray's once you are exalted with them, as well as a tiny pet.

If that's not enough it should be easy enough [even with a normal DPS feral spec] to bear tank the Underbog so that you can start gathering those flowers for the Sporregar, on normal mode it shouldn't take that long to clear, and I usually seem to find quite enough flowers to make up for my time in there.

And of course, why would we be in Outlands if we weren't Anzu farming. Once you get epic flying, go ahead and take the druid Epic Flight Form quest, its still a lot of fun, and gets you involved with some nifty Emerald Dream lore, and at the very end of it you'll get a chance to summon Anzu. Once that's done the druids kindly add something to your keyring so that you can continue to summon him as you wish. And if you're really up for it [and hadn't already done it] there are a load of quest chains and reputations to get up along the way, including the Caverns of Time, the Violet Eye [some druids are reporting in a Feral Spec that they can solo a good deal of Karahzan].

So once you're done in northrend, if you're bored and haven't already done everything in Outlands, be sure to hit it up, there are some nifty mini pets [like miniwing - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31760 ] that are very easy to get a hold of for all you pet collectors.

As a nifty kind of side note, every time I fly in to Netherwing Ledge, I loose my Matron Title, and its replaced with Patron, but as soon as I shift to cat form while still on the ledge, the title reverts back. It doesn't do this for Travel, Bird, or Tree form as far as I can tell. Just an interesting thing to note.

No comments:

Post a Comment